Archives held by the Archive of Art & Design
- George Gamon Adams, medallist and sculptor, papers, ca.1820 - ca.1979.
- A.C. Adamson, light fitting designer, papers, 1851 - 1970.
George F. Ainscow, textile designer, papers, 1930 - ca.1993.
Pat Albeck, textles designer, papers, 1952 – 2000.
- 'The Ambassador', export magazine for fashion and textiles, records, 1933 - 1987.
- Antoni + Alison, fashion designers, records, ca.1976 - 1997.
- Edward Ardizzone, artist and book illustrator, papers, 1939 - 1980.
- Maison Arnold, fashion house, records, ca.1900 - 1925.
- Association of Art Historians, records, ca.1973 - 2011.
- Astra Fireworks, firework manufacturer, display poster and firework labels, ca.1950 - 1990.
Joyce Badrocke, textiles designer, papers, ca.1940 – ca.1980.
- Bernhard Baer, print director, papers, 1947 - 1985.
The Bag, Boilerhouse Project exhibition, 1985, bags, ca.1985.
Thomas Balston, research papers on John Martin, papers, ca.1818 – ca.1966.
- Basil E.E. Barber, stained glass artist and designer, papers, 1920 - 1992.
- Edward Barnard & Sons Ltd, manufacturing silversmiths, records, 1805 - 2006.
John Barnes, product designer, papers, 1928 - 1989.
O.M. Bayles, advertising artist and textile designer, textile designs, ca.1938 - 1950.
- Cecil Beaton, illustrator, photographer and stage designer, scrapbooks, 1922 - 1980.
- Joseph Bell & Son, stained glass designer and manufacturer, records, ca.1840 - 1998.
- D. Bianco & Sons Ltd, furniture manufacturer, records, ca.1930 - 1970.
Biba, fashion retailer and department store, records, ca.1970 - 1994.
Kenneth Bird (Fougasse), comic artist, papers, 1916-1964.
- Bird Iles Ltd, furniture designer and interior decorator, records, 1928 - 1962.
- Misha Black, exhibition and industrial designer, architect, papers, 1922 - 1978.
- 'Blitz', lifestyle magazine, records, 1979 - 1991.
- Charlotte Bondy, aluminium foil packaging designer, papers, ca.1925 - 1984.
- Ervin Bossanyi, stained glass artist and designer, papers, ca.1920 - ca.1997.
- Dorothea Braby, graphic artist and illustrator, papers, 1928 - 1988.
- Dorothy Braddell, graphic and interior designer, papers, ca.1920 - 1961
- Trudie Bradley, designer of shop windows, papers, 1937- 1938.
- Joyce Lankester Brisley, children’s writer and illustrator, 1903-1976
Beth Brett, knitwear designer, papers, 1970 – 2001.
British Art in Industry, Royal Academy, 1935, photographs, ca.1935.
- British Display Society, records, ca.1887 - ca.2008.
- British Institute of Interior Design, records, 1899 - 1987.
- British Library, dust jacket collection, ca.1920 - ca.1955.
- Loulou Brown, fashion illustrator, papers, 1916 - 1950.
- Anton Leone Bulletti, decorator and woodcarver, papers, 1850 - 1890.
- Calico Printers’ Association Ltd, textile sample books, 1933 - 1970
- Margaret Calkin James, graphic and textile designer : papers, ca. 1910 - 1970
- Georg Calmann, furniture designer and framemaker, papers, ca.1930 - 1939.
Eileen Calvert, knitter and needlewoman, collection, ca.1930 - 1986.
Michael Cardew, studio potter, papers, 1901 – 1983.
Roy Carnon, artist and illustrator, records, ca.1940 – ca.1990
- Central Institute of Art and Design, records, ca.1940 - ca.1950.
- Central Office of Information, Festival of Britain negatives and photographs, 1948 - 1951.
- Ceramic contemporaries, National Association for Ceramics in Higher Education/Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1993, collection, 1987 - 1993.
- Ceramic designs, albums, ca.1912 - 1920.
- Helen Chadwick, artist, Oval Court project papers, ca.1986.
Heather Child, calligrapher, heraldic and botanical artist, papers, ca.1920s - 1980s.
Gerald Cinamon, graphic designer, papers, ca.1960 - 1985
- Kenneth Clark, furniture photographer, papers, 1947 - 1988.
- Clark & Fenn Ltd, interior designers and plasterers, records, ca.1930s.
- J. Clarke, furniture manufacturer, records, 1916 - 1996.
Sylvia Clarke, textile designer, papers, 1935 - ca.1995.
Alec Cobbe, artist and interior designer, records, ca.1945 - ca.2000.
- Frederick W. Cole, stained glass artist and designer, papers, 1938 - 1998
- The Computer Arts Society: records, ca.1960s – ca.1980s.
- William Comyns and Sons Ltd, manufacturing silversmiths, records, 1896 - 1987.
Frank Coomber, head of studio at S.H.Benson, papers, ca.1929 – ca.1969.
Corgi Books, publishing house, artwork, ca.1969 - 1972.
John Cornforth, historian of interiors, papers, ca.1950 – 2003.
- Council for the Care of Churches, Church of England General Synod advisory body, records, 1915 - 1972.
- Courtaulds plc, textile manufacturers, design library, 1820 - 1977.
- Thomas Cowell, stained glass artist and designer, papers, ca.1880 - 1985.
- Crace family, interior decorators, 1691 - 1992.
- Crafts Council, records, 1960 - 1998.
- Edith Crapper, illustrator and miniaturist, papers, 1910 - 1980.
- Antony Croghan, librarian, collection, ca.1982 - 1994.
- Crown Suppliers, producer and supplier of furniture for the public service, records, ca.1930 - ca.1990.
- Madame Crystal Ltd and A. Tugendhat, glove maker; yarn importer, records, 1928 - 1990.
- Elizabeth Davenport, knitwear designer, papers, 1937 - 1988.
- Bill Davis, director of the Firework Co. and Sultan Pyrotechnics, papers, ca.1982 - ca.1987.
- Vera Dawkins, trade historian, collection, 1973 - 1988.
- Nelson and Edith Dawson, silversmiths and decorative artists, papers, 1822 - 1939.
- Lucienne and Robin Day, textile and wallpaper designer; industrial, interior and furniture designer, papers, 1940-2005..
De Beyne, furniture manufacturer, records, 1933 - 1960.
Denman and Goddard, gengleman’s tailors, records, 1883 – 1997.
- Design and Industries Association, records, 1887 - 2003.
- Design Council, Design Index, ca.1948 - 1985
- Designer Bookbinders, records, 1956 – 2002.
- Jane Dillon, designer: papers, 1962 – 2007
Vic Duppa-Whyte, paper engineer, papers, ca.1940 - 1986.
Leslie Durbin, silversmith, papers, 1929 - 2004.
- J.H.V.Dyer, furniture and interior designer, draughtsman, papers, ca.1822 - ca.1904.
Eagle Transfers Ltd, transfer manufacturer, records, ca.1920 – 1970s.
Hugh Easton, stained glass artist and designer, papers, ca.1930 - 1978.
Frederick Charles Eden, architect and stained glass designer, designs, ca. 1909 - ca.1944
Arthur Cecil and Clara Cary Edwards, oriental carpet researchers, papers, ca.1940 - 1957.
Oskar Ehrenzweig, textiles designer, 1921 – 1965.
- Elkington & Company Ltd, metalwork manufacturer and electroplater, records, 1829 - ca.1968.
- Edwin Embleton, commercial and graphic designer, Ministry of Information collection, 1939 - 1945.
- AAD Ephemera, exhibition, high street trawl and thematic ephemera, 1885 - current.
- European Commission for the Promotion of Silk, photographs, ca.1970 - 1976.
- Edwin Fagg, illustrator, papers, ca.1885 - 1939.
- Harold Felber, fashion designer, papers, ca.1950 - ca.1989.
- Festival of Britain, records and photographs, 1949 - 1951.
- Ian Hamilton Finlay, artist, designer and poet, Peterhead Power Station scheme photographs and publication, 1978.
- Hartwig Fischel, architect, collection, 1829 - ca.1928.
- Mavis FitzRandolph, quilting researcher, papers, 1935 - 1960.
- Ronald Fleming, interior decorator, papers, 1915 - 1976.
- William Russell Flint, artist, papers, 1902 - 1970.
- Oliver Ford, interior decorator, papers, ca.1950 - 1992.
Moira Forsyth, stained glass artist and designer, papers, 1877 - 1989.
Fortnum and Mason, department store, photographs and slides, ca.1990s.
- George Frampton, sculptor, papers, 1837 - 1975.
- Eric Fraser, graphic artist and illustrator, papers, ca.1915 - 1980s.
John French, fashion photographer, papers, ca.1948 - 1985.
Klaus Friedeberger, graphic designer and artist, papers, ca. 1940 – 2003.
- G.T. Friend, engravers, glass negatives, ca.1920 - ca.1969.
- Paul Frith, fashion designer, collection, 1980 - 1989.
A.W. Gamage Ltd, department store, records, ca.1813 - 1942.
John Starkie Gardner, metalworker, ca.1880 – ca.1920
- Ethel Garnham, crocheter, knitter and seamstress, collection, ca.1930 - 1951.
- Garrard & Co. Ltd, crown jewellers, records, 1735 - 1949.
David Gentleman, artist, Eleanor Cross murals project papers, 1940 - 1950.
Herbert E. Gibbs, furniture manufacturers, records, 1930s – 1960s.
Glove patterns, the gift of an anonomous donor.
Barbara Goalen, fashion model, papers, 1947 - 1985.
Godman and Rabey, jewellers, records and designs, 1928 - 1980.
- E.W. Godwin, furniture and stage designer, architect, papers, 1844 - 1888.
- Golden Cockerel Press, publisher, albums, 1933 - 1947.
- Rita Gooday, textile designer, album, ca.1920 - 1935.
- Gordon Fraser Gallery Ltd, books and greetings cards publisher, book division records, ca.1968 - 1988.
- Husey Gould, illustrator, album, 1903 - 1904.
- Sheffield Grace, antiquarian, collection, ca.1819 - 1827.
- Cuthbert Grasemann, amateur artist, sketches, 1906 - 1957.
- Eileen Gray, architect, furniture and interior designer, papers, 1913 - 1974.
Milner Gray, industrial, exhibition and graphic designer, papers, ca.1910 - ca. 1995.
Felicity Green, fashion journalist, press cutting albums, 1960 - 1972.
- Green images: posters and printed ephemera, Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1992, collection, 1980 - 1992.
- Ronald Grierson, textile designer, papers, 1932 - 1986.
- Rosemary Grimble, illustrator, drawings, 1948 - 1988.
Guild of St Joseph and St Dominic, a society of Catholic craftsmen, records, 1911 - 1990.
Richard Guyatt, graphic designer, papers, ca. 1914 – 2000.
- William Snelling Hadaway, jewellery and metalwork designer, papers, ca.1900 - 1935.
- A. Haines & Son, textile designers, designs, ca.1950 - 1960.
- Elizabeth Hake, quilting researcher, papers, 1929 - 1970.
- Ursula Hamilton, advertising photographer, papers, ca.1950 - 1989.
David Harman Powell, plastics designer, papers, ca.1950 - 1990.
David Harris, graphic designer, papers, ca.1940 – ca.1989.
- Ron Harris, pyrotechnophile, collection, ca.1904 - 1989.
- Heal and Son Holdings plc., bedding and furniture manufacturer and retailer, records, 1810 - 2010.
- Ernest Heasman, stained glass artist and designer, papers, 1880 - 1928.
- Ronald Heggs, flooring designer, designs and scrapbooks, ca.1930 - ca.1969.
- David Hicks, interior and textile designer, papers, ca.1960 - 1973.
- George Him, illustrator, graphic and exhibition designer, papers, 1919 - 1986.
Holland and Sons Ltd, cabinet makers and upholsterers, records, 1821 - 1968.
Charles Holme, textiles manufacturer, entrepreneur, founder of The Studio magazine, papers ca.1873 – 1924.
Stewart Home, writer on underground art, papers, 1984 - ca.1998.
Household Choices, Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1990, research material, 1989 – 1990.
- Barbara Hulanicki, fashion designer, papers, 1980 - 1986.
- W. Gordon Hunton, textile designer, records, 1903 - 1944.
- Hyders Ltd, art metal workers, records, ca.1930 - ca.1980
- Lilian Hyder, secretary and editor working in fashion industry: papers, 1941-1987
- Daily Mail Ideal Home Exhibition: records, 1910-1990
- International Tobacco Company, cigarette and tobacco manufacturer, marketing records, 1930 - ca.1959.
- Isobel, fashion designer, papers, 1925 - 1969.
G. Jackson & Sons Ltd, decorative plasterers, records, 1838 - 1978.
Gervase Jackson- Stops, architectural historian, papers, ca. 1972 - 1995.
- Japan Festival 1991 Ltd, records, ca.1986 - 1992.
- Francis Johnston, needlework pattern designer, papers, ca.1904 - ca.1962.
- Ramah Judah, embroiderer and knitter, collection, 1918 - ca.1949.
- Jan Juta, mural designer and painter, papers, ca.1920 - 1972.
- E.McKnight Kauffer, commercial designer and illustrator, collection, 1913 - 1950.
- C.E. Kempe & Co. Ltd, stained glass artists and church furnishings designers, records, 1810 - 1950.
Sean Kenny, film and stage production designer, architect, designs and press cuttings, ca.1960 - ca.1969.
Knitting, Lace and Net Industry Training Board, publications, 1970 - 1988.
- Knitting patterns, collection, ca.1850 - ca.1959
- Andrew Pitcairn-Knowles, photo-journalist: papers, 1871 - 2004.
- Adam Kossowski, mural designer and painter, papers, 1940 - 1992.
- Krazy Kat Arkive of Twentieth Century Popular Culture, Eduardo Paolozzi’s collection, ca.1900 - ca.1997.
- Lachasse Ltd, ladies dressmakers, milliners and tailors, records, ca.1930 - 1981.
- Lynton Lamb, graphic artist and illustrator, papers, 1927 - 1977.
Alyson Lancaster, swimwear model, papers, 1929 - 2008.
Jan Langan, fashion illustrator, papers, ca.1960s – ca.1980s.
Bernard Leach, potter, research papers, ca. 1960s.
- Gordon Lee, matchbox collector and architect, collection, ca.1950 - ca.1989.
Olga Lehmann, artist and film production designer, papers, 1920s - 1998.
- Lilley and Skinner Ltd, shoe manufacturer and retailer, publicity albums, 1909 - 1963.
- John William Lisle, stained glass artist and designer, papers, ca.1885 - ca.1988.
- S. London Ltd, furrier, records, ca.1920 - 1968.
- Catherine Lucas, costume researcher, papers, ca.1967 - 1978.
- John Seymour Lucas, artist, papers, 1880 - 1920
- Lucile, fashion designer: papers, 1890-1933
- Eric Lucking, window dresser, papers, 1936 - 1984.
- Mark Luker, fashion designer and illustrator, papers, ca.1919 - 1972.
- Dora Lunn, potter, papers, 1899 - 1950.
Dorothy Mahoney, calligrapher, papers: ca.1917 - 2012.
Romek Marber, graphic designer, papers, 1950s - 1980s.
Francis Marshall, fashion and social illustrator, papers, 1868 - 1986.
Enid Marx, artist and designer, papers, ca.1895 – 1976.
Heber Mathews, potter, papers, 1945 - 1959.
Roger Mayne, photographer, press cutting albums, 1951 - 1989.
- Sue McKechnie, ceramics researcher, papers, 1960 - 1978
- Helen McKie, artist and illustrator: papers, 1889-2004
Michael Farr (Design Integration) Ltd and Farr Ergonomics Ltd, design management consultancies, records, ca.1930 - 1992.
Millennium Awards, records, ca. 1996 – 2004.
Millennium Festival, records, 1999 - 2001.
Alec Miller, sculptor and carver, papers ca.1849 – 1994.
Simone Mirman, milliner, albums, 1954 - 1967
- Robin Moore Ede, interior designer, photographs and presentation panels, ca.1965 - 1991.
- Morris & Co. Art Workers Ltd, decorative artists, embroidery patterns, ca.1920 - ca.1939.
- James Morton, founder of Morton Sundour Fabrics Ltd, papers, ca.1890 - 1990.
Edwin Roscoe Mullins, sculptor, papers, ca.1881 – ca 1907.
- Rosemonde Nairac, ceramic and tableware designer, papers, 1963 - 1992.
- Trude Neu, textile designer, papers, ca.1912 - 1996.
Oppitz Jewellers, jewellery designers, albums, ca.1890.
Oriental Ceramic Society, records, 1921 - 2014.
Padgett and Braham Ltd., manufacturing silversmiths, records, 1874 - 2006.
Kineton Parkes, sculpture researcher, papers, ca.1920 - ca.1929.
- Ronald Paterson, fashion designer, papers, ca.1950 - ca.1970.
- Wyndham Payne, book illustrator and commercial artist, papers, 1906 - 1970.
David Peace, glass engraver, papers, 1935 - 1992.
Suzanne Perkins, art director, The Woman’s Press, papers, 1977 – 1991.
Perry & Co, chandelier makers, records, ca.1822 – ca.1925.
- Chris Philip, pyrotechnist, collection, 1892 - 1988.
- Roger Phillips, writer and photographer, papers, 1968 - 1974.
- Paul Peter Piech, graphic artist, papers, 1940 - 1996.
- Charles Pierce, book illustrator and graphic designer, papers, 1934 - 1974.
- Pilot Fashions, ladieswear designers and wholesalers, fashion sketches and press cutting albums, 1940 - 1962.
- Porgy and Bess, film production, records, ca.1958 - 1962.
- Thea Porter, fashion designer, papers, ca.1960 - 1989.
- Portland Outfitters, hosiers and outfitters, records, 1896 - 1962.
James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd, glass manufacturer, stained glass department records and sketchbooks, 1845 - 1973.
Patric Prince, art historian and collector of computer art, papers, 1953 – 2005.
- 'Print Quarterly', records, 1982 - 2010.
- Edward Pyke, wax sculpture researcher, papers, ca.1963 - 1995.
- Queensberry Hunt Partnership, ceramics and tableware design consultancy, records, ca.1956 - 2005.
Seymour Rabinovitch, designs and papers relating to collection of fish slices, ca.1988 – 2004.
Race Furniture Ltd, furniture manufacturer, albums, 1945 - 1972.
George Ramon, architect, interior and stage designer, papers, ca.1950 – ca.1980.
- B.M. Ray, ladies hairdressers’, sketches, ca.1910 - ca.1940.
- Reginald Reeve-Cox, advertising agent and copywriter, album, 1920 - 1925.
- Paul Reilly, design administrator, papers, ca.1920 - ca.1989.
- Albert Edward Richardson, architect, lantern slides collection, 1885 - 1940.
- Wilfred Richardson, furniture designer, papers, ca.1900 - 1950.
- G. Riom, artist, prints, ca.1900.
Romano’s hairdressers, ledger, 1908 – 1914.
Sigrid Roesen, editor and fashion illustrator, papers, ca.1930 - 1971.
- Royal College of Art, Department of Design Research, records, ca.1960 - 1986.
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters, records, 1882 - 1997.
- Royal Society of British Artists, records, 1823 - 1985.
- Samuel Johnson & Sons (London) Ltd, button manufacturer and retailer, records, ca.1920 - 1980.
Bertha Sander, interior designer, papers, 1917 - ca.1963.
Daphne Sanderson, textles designer, papers, ca.1956 – ca.1980.
- Eve Sandford, knitting designer, albums, 1961 - 1969.
- Laurence Scarfe, painter and graphic designer, papers, 1935-1989.
Hans Schleger, corporate, exhibition and graphic designer, collection, ca.1950 - ca.2013
Pat Schleger, graphic designer, records, 1977-1996.
Gaby Schreiber, consultant designer for industry, papers, ca.1940 - 1991.
Leslie Schreyer, ephemera collection, ca.1895 – 1976.
- Christien Sell, furniture designer, papers, ca.1960 - ca.1975.
- Sewing patterns, collection, 1933 - 1990.
- Harold Shelton, art college principal and artist, papers 1949 - ca.1989.
- Michael Sherard, dress designer, press cutting books, 1947 - 1983.
- John Shipley, graphic design lecturer, collection, ca.1950 - 1959.
- Silhouette (Salop) Ltd, sportswear, swimwear and underwear manufacturer, marketing records, 1957 - ca.1989.
- R.B. Simpson & Co. Ltd, furniture manufacturer, designs, ca.1930 - 1939.
- Franz Singer, architect, artist and interior designer, papers, 1913 - 1950.
- Birgit Skiöld, printer, papers, 1923 - 1993.
- W.J. Sloggett & Sons, woodcarvers, records, ca.1920 - ca.1940.
- Society for Italic Handwriting, records, 1937 - 1985.
- Society of Designer-Craftsmen, records, 1886 - 1984.
- Society of Scribes and Illuminators, records, 1921 - 1964.
Society of Women Artists, records, 1857 - 2005.
Bill Stair, illustrator and film designer, papers, ca. 1970s.
- Staples & Co. Ltd, furniture manufacturer, records, 1893 - 1985.
- Frederick Starke, fashion designer and promoter, press cuttings, 1949 - 1969.
- Jean Stehr, ornamental hairstyle designer, albums, ca.1893 - 1901.
- John Stephen, fashion designer, papers, ca.1955 - ca.1980.
- Alfred Stevens, painter and sculptor, collection, ca.1830 - 1875.
- Marie Stevenson, needlework teacher, record books, 1950 - 1973.
- Victor Stiebel, fashion designer, press cutting albums, 1932 - 1963.
- R.E. Stone, silversmith, papers, 1924 - 1983.
- Walter Strachan, art lecturer and writer, collection, ca.1950 - 1970.
Olive Sullivan, interior designer, editor of House and Garden, papers, ca.1930 - 1995.
Elizabeth Suter, fashion illustrator and lecturer, papers, ca.1960 – ca.1980.
- R.W. Taylor, plaster modeller and woodcarver, papers, 1905 - 1923.
John Templeton Ltd, button manufacturer, button samples and designs, ca.1930 - ca.1960s.
Textiles sample book, 1856 – 1857.
- Reginald Till, tile designer, papers, 1927 - 1948.
- Tom Smith Group Ltd, cracker and novelty manufacturer, records, 1875 - 1998.
A tonic to the nation: the Festival of Britain, 1951, Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1976, collection, 1950 - 1951.
Charles Harrison Townsend, architect and designer, papers, 1806 – ca.2003.
- Marjorie Trueman, friend of Tim Osborne, papers, 1928 - 1992.
- Helena Uglow, ceramic and textile designer, papers, 1970s - 1990s.
- Leon Underwood, illustrator, painter and writer, papers, ca.1925 - ca.1973.
- Hans Unger, graphic designer and mosaic artist, papers, ca.1939 - 1977.
- John Vere Brown, painter, writer and photographer, papers, ca.1960 - ca.2000.
Robina Wallis, second hand clothes dealer, papers, 1927 - 1959.
John Wallond, furniture and interior designer, papers, 1919 – 1992.
- Allan Walton, interior and textile designer, papers, ca.1904 - 1955.
'The Way We Live Now: Designs for Interiors, 1950 to the Present Day', Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1978 - 1979, manufacturers’ catalogues collection, 1954 - 1978.
Philip Webb, architect, records, ca.1831 - 1997.
- Percy A. Wells, lantern slide collection, ca.1950s.
- 'Wish You Were Here: The Printed Seaside', Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition, 1991, collection, 1980 - 1991.
- 'World Advertising Review', records, 1964 - 1979.
House of Worth Ltd and Paquin Ltd, couture houses, drawings and photographs, 1889 - ca.1952.
Arthur Wragg, artist, papers, ca.1920 – 1991.
Leo Wyatt, engraver and designer, papers, 1843 - ca.1998.
Hayward Walter Young and Arthur Robert Young, commercial artists and graphic designers, records, ca.1990 - ca.1940