We have launched a new website and are reviewing this page. Find out more
Open daily 10.00 to 17.45 Admission free Menu

Charles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities was originally published in the periodical 'All the Year Round', in 31 weekly instalments from April to November 1859. Dickens wrote the individual chapters of the novel to tight deadlines, and his hand-written text contains numerous additions and corrections.

The manuscript was subsequently bequeathed to the Museum by John Forster (1812-1876) the author's friend and biographer. The Forster Collection also includes the manuscripts of most of Dickens's other full-length novels, plus printers' proofs, early editions, correspondence and artworks.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
A Tale of Two Cities
Autograph manuscript, 1859