Charles Dickens - David Copperfield
David Copperfield was originally published in monthly parts, from May 1849 to November 1850. The entire manuscript was bequeathed to the Museum by John Forster (1812-1876) the author's friend and biographer. The Forster Collection also includes the manuscripts of most of Dicken's other full-length novels, plus printers' proofs, early editions, correspondence and artworks.
The manuscript's first instalments are currently included in a bicentenary display about Dickens, at the V&A's National Art Library until April 2012. The pages from Chapter 31 onwards can also viewed below, and the earlier chapters will be added later.