Room 24: Sculpture in Britain - Portraits & Memorial Sculpture
This Dorothy and Michael Hintze Gallery displays funerary monuments and portrait busts which were the most common ways in which people were commemorated in sculpture. Sometimes the two were combined: a bust was placed on a funerary monument, or a copy of a bust on a church monument was displayed in the family house.
Room 26: Sculpture 1300–1600
Rooms 26 features a selection of religious sculpture from Germany, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain and England, dating from around 1300 to 1600. The V&A’s collection is particularly rich in religious sculpture from this period, as can also be seen in the Medieval and Renaissance Galleries.
First opened in 1873, the Cast Courts were purpose built to house one of the most comprehensive collections of casts of post-classical European sculpture. 24 metres in height, the two galleries house some of the V&A’s largest objects and are among the most popular in the Museum. Renovation has recently taken place on The Weston Cast Court (Gallery 46b), which re-opened to the public in November 2014. The Court has been named in recognition of The Garfield Weston Foundation’s longstanding and generous support of the V&A. With further support from The Henry Moore Foundation, Patricia Wengraf Ltd., The Salomon Oppenheimer Philanthropic Foundation, and Sam Fogg.
Designated the National Collection of Sculpture, this collection concentrates on Western European Sculpture from the 4th century to the end of the 19th century. Highlights of the collection include masterpieces from the Italian Renaissance, ivory carvings of all periods, Northern European wood and other sculpture, commemorative medals and plaster casts. The sculpture collection contains approximately 22,000 objects.