Development of the sculpture galleries, 2007
The Dorothy and Michael Hintze Galleries
A generous lead donation by the Hintze Family Charitable Foundation funded the complete renovation of the sculpture galleries, which opened in July 2007.
Rooms 21 and 21a house British and French sculpture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This follows on from the display of sculpture 1600-1870, collected by British Patrons, which runs through rooms 22-24.
They were refurbished to reveal the original mosaic floor, and the walls and ceiling have been redecorated. The lighting scheme was also redesigned. These spacious galleries reveal and enhance the original architecture of the building.
The gallery designer was Eva Jiricna Architects Ltd. working with a team of specialist consultants, educators, conservators and curators to make the gallery accessible to a wide audience. Eva Jiricna Architects has also designed the Sculpture gallery (room 111), the Sculpture galleries (rooms 22-24), the new Main Shop, Grand Entrance doors and Information Desk, and major temporary exhibition, Modernism.
This development was completed as part of FuturePlan
FuturePlan is transforming the V&A by revitalising visitor facilities and redisplaying the collections. Using the best architects and designers, we are bringing the V&A into the 21st century and restoring modern design and innovation to the heart of the museum.