Development of Medieval and Renaissance galleries, 2009
The Victoria and Albert Museum's Medieval and Renaissance collection is outstanding in its depth and range, and contains some of the greatest surviving treasures of the period 300-1600.
These range from delicately carved ivories and intricate metalwork to Leonardo da Vinci’s notebooks and the greatest collection of Renaissance sculpture outside of Italy.
Spanning the east wing of the Museum the galleries opened in 2009 to present more than 1800 objects which tell the story of European art and culture from the decline of the Roman Empire to the end of the Renaissance period.
With themes ranging from the domestic interior to sacred spaces, they show objects in their cultural context, several of which had not previously been on display for many years. The galleries were made possible thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund and the generosity of many other donors.
The V&A appointed MUMA (McInnes Usher McKnight Architects), a young architectural practice, as the Galleries designers. MUMA worked with a team of specialist curators, conservators and educators to create a sequence of galleries that are exciting, accessible and rewarding for all visitors.
This development was completed as part of FuturePlan
FuturePlan is transforming the V&A by revitalising visitor facilities and redisplaying the collections. Using the best architects and designers, we are bringing the V&A into the 21st century and restoring modern design and innovation to the heart of the museum.