Join today and enjoy unlimited free entry to all V&A exhibitions, Members-only previews and more
This free inter-generational celebration of Caribbean popular culture, unpacks a rich heritage featuring DJs, steel pan, Calypso, talks, tours, films, and poetry, and take part in our hands-on Carnival Mas Camp – ‘Design, Create & Dance’.
Kick-start your creativity in our Mas Camp and design your own Carnival Headdress, Masks of Disguise, develop your dance technique, and take part in our visitor impromptu parade.
You will also have the chance to:
• Join the tour of the Historical and Hidden Caribbean - A View of Life Through Art and Design, and journey 301 years, across six galleries and 8 objects
• View and discuss rarely seen Caribbean photographs spanning over 100 years of history in the 'Goombay Mamas and Papas': Carnival textile archives & workshop
• Sit in a grounding session of poetry and rhymes for Carnival, Anansi, and Steelpan
• Carnival as Research features talks on: 'The Internationalization of an Art Form: The Trinidad Carnival as a Cultural Export' and ‘My Tougue is the Blast of a Gun’: The Midnight Robber and the Carnival Trickster'
• Relax and listen to a back catalogue of Calypso dating back to the early 1900s to modern day Soca riddimz
• ‘Dance up and shake a leg’ with Ebony Steelband the 20 times winners of the UK's Panorama competition held each year at Notting Hill Carnival
• Hail the designers of the Carnival artform, and the characters of early Caribbean Masquerade in our Out of Many One Caribbean Carnival FilmClub.
This event is being held in celebration of the V&A Exhibition Road Quarter, the 30th Anniversary of Black History Month, and the UNESCO Decade for People of African Descent 2015 - 2024