Gilbert Collection

Rooms 70 – 73, The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Galleries

Plan a visit

The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Collection celebrates some of the most beautiful objects ever made, many in precious materials, and often on a small scale. It is famous for European and British masterpieces including gold and silver, gold boxes, painted enamels and mosaics.

Read more
See less
Their passion for craftsmanship and beauty prompted Sir Arthur Gilbert (1913 – 2001) and his first wife Rosalinde (1913 – 1995) to acquire the very best objects in their collecting areas. Always intended for the public, the V&A has been the home of this collection since 2008.

Collection Highlights

beaker
Gold and enamel beaker, unknown, 1600 – 25, Northern Europe
snuffbox
Agate snuffbox, unknown, about 1750, Germany
micromosaic
Micromosaic view of Tivoli near Rome, made by Giovanni Morelli, 1820, Italy
plaque
Micromosaic plaque with The Doves of Pliny, made by Giacomo Raffaelli, 1801, Italy
miniature
Enamel miniature of George Washington, made by Henry Pierce Bone, 1825, England
ewer
Ewer, made by Paul de Lamerie, 1742 – 3, England
snuffbox
Snuffbox associated with King Frederick II of Prussia, designed by Jean Guillaume Krüger, 1775 – 80, Germany
tiara
Tiara with pietre dure panels, made by Real Laboratorio, about 1808, Italy
cabinet
Cabinet, unknown, 1600 – 50, Northern Europe
cup
Falcon cup, made by Samuel Kassborer and Hans Kässborer, about 1600, Germany
miniature
Enamel miniature of Queen Charlotte, made by Johann Heinrich Hurter, 1781, England
snuffbox
Snuffbox in the shape of a lion, made by Moulinie, Bautte & Moynier, 1804 – 9, Switzerland
cup
Hunting cup with sleeping dog, unknown, 1480 – 90, Italy
snuffbox
Snuffbox, unknown, about 1765, Germany
table
Octagonal tabletop with a micromosaic depicting Apollo, unknown, 1861 – 90, Italy
centrepiece
Centrepiece, made by Asprey plc, 1985, England
cup
Partridge cup, made by Georg Rühl, 1598 – 1602, Germany

Features

Background image: Background image: Hunting cup with sleeping dog, 1480 – 90, Venice. Museum no. Loan:Gilbert.544-2008. © The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Collection on loan to the Victoria and Albert Museum, London