Museum number: B.125:1, 2-1998
Currently on display in the Creativity Gallery
This dolls’ house was made in the 1930s by the company Lines Bros. of Merton, Surrey whose trademark was Tri-ang. It is a model of the Welsh cottage-style playhouse which was presented to Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth) on her sixth birthday in 1932, by the people of Wales.
The original house, called YBwthyn Bach, now stands in the grounds of Windsor Castle. The cottage was used to raise funds for children’s hospital charities before Princess Elizabeth was allowed to play with it in December 1932.
The princess loved to give parties in her cottage. Few children were privileged enough to have such a large house to play in. It has four rooms, including a kitchen and fully equipped bathroom with working appliances.