Saturday 24 September
9.30 – 16.45
To mark the final weeks of Clangers, Bagpuss and Co, our Smallfilms exhibition, join us for a nostalgic celebration of the magical art of stop-frame animation. Hear from academics on the fascinating history of animation, meet leading puppet makers, see gems from the Museum stores and quiz our Curators. Have a go at creating ‘moving’ images yourself with zoetropes and magic lanterns inspired by the wonderful early childhood entertainments from the Museum collections.
£55, concessions £50
Confirmed speakers include:
- Ian Mackinnon from ‘Mackinnon and Saunders’ one of the world’s leading puppet makers and creator of the new Clangers, Pingu and Fantatsic Mr Fox amongst others
- Professor Paul Wells Director of Animation Academy, Loughborough University
- Rachel Moseley Director, Centre for Television History, Heritage and Memory Research, Warwick University
- Chris Tichborne, Co-Director of the new Clangers animations with guest appearance from Dan Postgate
- Writer of the music for the TV series Bagpuss and voice of the character of Madeleine, Sandra Kerr
- Workshops led by Mirror Mirror and Cardboard Camera
Please note lunch is not included but participants are welcome to bring their lunch or to use the Museum’s Benugo cafe.