Before you visit
Planning what to see
- Over seven miles of inspiring galleries are waiting for you. Explore using our interactive map, and take a look at our teachers' resources online to help you organise your visit.
- Please note: galleries are occasionally closed at short notice. Please check our visit page or call us on 020 7942 2000 near the time of your visit.
Booking a visit
In order to book a visit, you must complete a self-guided booking request form.
- All school visits, including self-guided, must be pre-booked. Three weeks' notice is required for visits. This is to ensure the safety of all our visitors, and to enable you and your students to have the best possible experience while visiting us.
- Please note, the museum is currently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays – we only offer school visits on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- In order to manage numbers, we are offering two time slots per day, with a maximum of 40 people (students and staff) per time slot.
- In order to book a visit, you must complete a self-guided booking request form. A member of our Contact Centre team will be in touch to confirm your booking. We will email your ticket to you, and you will need to show it on a device, or printed out, when you arrive. Please note, we do not accept third-party provider bookings.
Changes and cancellations
- Please call 020 7942 2000 as soon as possible if you need to change or cancel your visit, or if you anticipate being late for your time slot.
Adult supervision is required at all times with the following adult-to-student ratios:
- Foundation Stage: one adult per three students
- Key Stage 1 and 2: one adult per six students
- Key Stage 3, 4, and 5: one adult per fifteen students
Please note, students are not permitted in the galleries unaccompanied.
- If anyone in your group has a disability and requires assistance, please let us know at the time of booking.
- Please see our disability & access page, or call us on 020 7942 2000 for full information about access at the V&A.
- You should carry out your own risk assessment before you visit, and bring it with you on the day. See our health and safety information for more guidance.
- A copy of our risk assessment is available on request, to assist with creating your own risk assessment. Please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Staying safe at the museum and COVID-19
- Ahead of your visit, if anyone in your group (staff or students) or anyone in their household has COVID-19 symptoms, or has recently been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, we ask that you please postpone your visit to the museum. Please read more about staying safe during your visit.
- In line with government guidance, face coverings are recommended during your visit unless you have a specific exemption. This does not apply to visitors under the age of 11. Not all exemptions are visible so please be understanding of others.
- To enable you and your students to have the best possible and safest visit with us, we advise dividing your larger group into smaller sub-groups to move around the museum. Please ensure each smaller group still meets our adult-to-student ratios outlined above.
- We encourage everyone in your group aged 16 or over to check in by scanning the NHS QR code when you arrive, to help support NHS Test and Trace. Further information can be found in our privacy notice.
On the day of your visit
How to reach the V&A
Our address is:
Victoria and Albert Museum
Cromwell Road, London, SW7 2RL
- Please check our visit page for the latest public transport information.
- Coaches: Two drop-off points are located on Cromwell Road. All drop-off points allow up to 15 minutes waiting time. Coach parking facilities are in Hyde Park, off Bayswater Road.
Schools in the Greater London Area can apply for free public transport when making visits to museums within the GLA area.
For advice on Coronavirus when travelling on the London Network, please see the Transport for London page.
Arriving at the V&A
- Please arrive at the V&A via the Cromwell Road entrance/exit. Present your booking confirmation email (digital or printed) to our friendly staff who will check you into the museum.
- There will be a designated meeting point for school groups situated near the entrance to allow your group to safely congregate and prepare for your day.
- There are toilets adjacent to this area.
- Please note, groups will not be able to return to the museum once they have left.
- In the interest of visitor safety, our Security team may carry out bag searches at the entrances to the museum.
Facilities for schools and colleges
- The lunchroom facilities are currently closed. It may be possible to use the John Madejski Garden for a packed lunch, if the weather permits.
- Our cloakrooms and locker facilities are currently closed. Please do not bring large bags or school bags with you as these are not allowed in the galleries. Please keep your bags with you at all times in the interest of safety and security.
- Our toilets are open throughout the building and are regularly cleaned.
- Due to COVID-19 we have reduced capacities in exhibitions to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff. Therefore we are unable to offer school visits to exhibitions at this time.
- Teachers are responsible for students' behaviour and safety at all times. Please remind your group not to touch objects, shout or run while at the V&A.
- Drawing should be with coloured or graphite pencils only and must be encased in a box or bag.
If you have any questions before you visit, please email our Learning Co-ordinator – Schools and Colleges at: email@example.com or call: 020 7942 2000.